Monday, July 11, 2005

Twins Get Boone

Hot off ESPN.com:

"The Minnesota Twins made a bid to bolster their young infield Monday by acquiring former All-Star second baseman Bret Boone from the Seattle Mariners.

The Mariners will also send cash to the Twins in exchange for a player to be named later. Boone, whose salary for this season is $8 million, was designated for assignment by Seattle earlier this month in a disappointing, tearful end to his career there."


I'm pretty surprised. I don't think Boone's got much value, so I'd be peeved if the Twins had given up anything of value for him... but it sounds like the M's are basically just handing him to us.

I'm just happy to see Terry Ryan recognizing that our infield is in shambles and I'm glad he's doing something about. Maybe we'll get lucky and Bret will rediscover his swing and provide some middle-of-the-offense presence. Unlikely, I suppose, but even the worst-case scenario isn't that bad. We couldn't do much worse at second base than we are right now. Expect plenty more analysis later.

No comments: